Favourite images from shoot:
After picking out my favourite images, I started editing them on Photoshop. I wanted to make it more colourful and make it quite obviously editing but then I came to like the realness of the photograph and didn’t want to edit them too much because I felt it would make it look quite tacky when it didn’t need to look like that. Instead, I adjust the colours slightly on the images making them more yellow to add warmth, then I started placing them into article.
The first thing I did after editing the photos, was add one of them to the article, keeping everything of what I had already created the same.
I liked the position of the photo on the page but I liked how it looked more than having the colour pink. I felt that the photo over powered the pink background so I tried seeing what it would look like having just the photo on the page.
Instantly, I preferred having the entire photo as the background as I felt that it was a lot stronger than the original pink background I had used. The article instantly felt a lot warmer and a lot more personal. After all, the story is real so it makes so much more sense having photography to narrate the story in a more real context. I like the fact that you can’t see the face in this image because even though it’s showing a body and makes it more personal, it’s not putting a visual identity to the boy so we can only imagine what he looks like when we read the article.
This image has the perfect amount of negative space to the side that I could use to put body text in. I liked the look of just having the image and then the body text to the side but I added the quote in the corner because it made it seem more like a conversation was being had.
I much prefer this visual to using bright colours and hand-printed typography for the article. It’s a completely different look to how I had initially visioned but I think the photos I have taken are strong enough to use as backgrounds throughout the article. Looking back at the coloured versions I was initially experimenting with, I think they looked quite tacky compared to the photography versions I am experimenting with now. Initially when I was thinking of ideas for how to create this article, I wanted the piece to be quite neutral – so not sway to one gender more than the other. I think that using photography does this because is quite a neutral form of communication anyway.
The above image I chose to use as the first set of double page spreads. The first two pages are going to be the start of the article so need to tell the reader what the article is. I felt that this was quite an establishing shot as you’re quite clearly in a room, potentially in a house since there is carpet; there’s quite obviously a mans legs but with the combination of colourful socks and sliders it’s obviously a young man – a teenager. There’s a lot of blank space in this image so room to fit a heading and body text.
I chose to use the subheading of the article for the heading rather than the actual title ‘About A Boy’ because I felt that sat bolder and spoke more volume on the page. I change the type used for the title too – originally I was using Arial Rounded MT Bold but changed it to Euphemia UCAS (which the type I had used for all the quotes – I preferred the look of this because its easy-to-read and bold and sat perfectly on the page. I liked the yellow as the title colour because it doesn’t detract from the image but makes it the prominent thing on the spread. There is too much going on in this page so I change the amount of body text so that it was less body text (see image below). The pace of this version works a lot better, however, I still think there is too much text on it so I think I could work on adjusting this.