I showed the rest of my group the animation I had created and they suggested I put a box around the word ‘URGENT’ so that it add’s emphasis to the word since the lines around it weren’t working.
The next part of the animation I waned to animate was the storyboard shown below:
The caption underneath the storyboard is the narration that will be said over the animation. The idea of this is that the heartbeat on this previous frame will continue to the end of the page so that it can start this frame (image of what it’ll look like below).
To do this, I needed to move the ‘URGENT CARE…’ off the page and then make the heartbeat line move and form a new animation. First of all I drew everything I needed to use in Illustrator so I was able to animate it, once again using the same colour scheme and typography. This part was really difficult because everything had to move in alignment to each other and it was hard to get the timing right so that it didn’t move too fast nor too slow. I needed to create a plain slide with just the line running through so that I could add the new words for the next part of the animation.
I next wanted the line to go up, add the word ‘but’ on top of the line, as well as have it move along the left hand side, gradually moving off the page. The timing on this was really crucial as the word ‘but’ needed to appear on the page at the exact moment it was said it in the narration. It also needed to move in the same formation and at a perfect pace so that the word wasn’t blurry when it moved of the page because it still needed to be able to be read.
Once the word ‘but’ had appeared on the page, the line needed to continue into a heartbeat shape and span the length of the frame.
Originally on the storyboard I was going to place ‘what are the other options?’ on top of the heartbeat but the way the animation was forming it made much more sense to have the question underneath the line. It worked really well because I was able to slot the sentence perfectly next to the heartbeat. Again, it was important to get the pacing right so that the words appeared on the screen as it was spoken in the narration.
At first I had a problem with animating the line as it was quite jolty and it wasn’t running smoothly through to the next page (above). I showed this to the rest of the group they agreed that it didn’t run smoothly and was too fast so you couldn’t read the word. It took a while to getting the pacing perfect so that it ran smoothly and the didn’t go too fast. It was really frustrating at times as I had to redraw some of the line and reposition the entire animation a lot but eventually it worked.
It was a very long process to get to the final part but I’m happy with it’s look. I worked really hard to get the timing right and learned a lot about after effects in the process of doing so. I’ve never used the software before but I’ve learned that something that would seem really hard to create is actually quite simple to animate (once you know how to do it). I’m glad that the heartbeat running through this part of the animation works because it’s one of our original ideas (all the way from when we were initially mind mapping what to do) so it’s good it was successful. I feel that it’s an important visual symbol to have because it emphasises the saving of lives that the A&E is supposed to do.