The first thing I wanted to do was drawn on illustrator what I had designed on paper (below).
When we were storyboarding, Simeon had said that he had liked my typography I was drawing with. I want to draw the above image exactly on illustrator so it made sense to make my own typeface rather than use someone else’s. Our target audience for this animation is very large, people/families of all ages so it needed to appeal to a lot of people. The simplest way to do this was to use a friendly typeface that was easy to read. I chose to draw my typeface on Illustrator as if I would by hand on paper. It’s imperfect and the letters are slightly different thicknesses but that was the idea of it because it has a more personal approach which people generally respond to better anyway. More round typefaces tend to be used for a younger target audiences which is who we want this video to be shown to but we also want to appeal to an older target audience. Drawing a typeface that was in-between straight and round letters and was a bit uneven, I felt, would do this. I will use this for animating this particular part but it could be used throughout the entire animation.
I then started to experiment with colour. Our group had a conversation on the group chat to discuss what kinds of colours to use. I was looking at pop art and the way they contrast strong colours (below). We decided with red and blue to use as they both contrast well with each other. Also below is a piece of work Ellie drew, I like the bold red, blue and black but I’d like to try experimenting with what the lighter colours would look like.
Pop art imagery:
Work by Ellie:
Below is my first drawing: I tried to use light blues and reds but with grey instead of black as I didn’t like how dark the black made the piece look. After drawing it on illustrator, I then animated it on After Effects.
After having it move, I found the colours weren’t right. I don’t like the grey with the other colours but I do like the tone of the red and blue. I think the tempo of the animation also needs to slow down as it’s too fast to read and since it’s going to have a narration over it, it needs to be the right tempo to be read. I spoke to the rest of my group and showed them the animation; there was mixed agreement with whether they liked the lighter colours or the darker colours. I personally prefer the lighter so I will continue with that idea until we next meet as a group and we can discuss properly what colour tones we decide to use.
The grey in this made it look very dark and I find that darker colours might be a bit harsh on the eye. Since it’s moving image, we need to make it as easy to read as possible. As well as that, we need to have our target audience in mind at all times and the reason why we are doing this animation. It’s important information; it needs to be translated clearly and remembered. Information is more likely to be remember if it is bright and colourful, so I chose to use white instead of grey which instantly brightened up the page. This worked so much better. I also changed the pace of the animation and decided to take out the moving lines. Overall, it’s much better to watch.
I decided to take out the moving lines around the word ‘urgent’ because I found it really distracting when trying to read the rest of the animation. I do prefer the look of it without lines. The colours on this version are also a lot better and continue to use these. As I was tweaking the final formation, I spoke what was written in the script so that the pace was at the same speed as what the narration would be when it is added to the animation.