Wed 16th Nov – Fri 18th Nov
Bartender Short Course
Using my ideas of what I could photograph for this project, I decided to do a photo shoot and spend quite a bit of time taking good photographs. I wanted to do a set up similar to how a bar looks, I would have taken photos in a bar but I didn’t have enough time and it would be easier to do it in my flat. Using alcohol and glasses from in the cupboard, and my friend as a model, I took photos of pouring drinks and making cocktails. I used techniques like zooming in, cropping, changing the depth of field and flash. The lighting wasn’t great in the room I took photos in so I knew I would need to rely a lot on editing them.
Once taking my images, I starting to plan how I could edit them to fit the specific size measurements and then took them onto photoshop.
Editing the images
My initial idea was to change the hue/saturation into slightly different colours and make them brighter. I had looked at promotional material for bar’s and most the images were usually really bright and closed up, sometimes blurred, so that was the angle I was initially going for.
The images above are the first lot of experiments with the size dimensions of 280x40mm (I did do others but the files were too big to upload – 1400x200mm). I used images that were taken with out the flash so it was the just the light in the room used to light up the objects. I played around with changing the brightness and contrast, which change how well you could see the light reflecting of the glass. I also change the hue/saturation to alter the colours slightly and also the exposure of the image. My favourite one is the 5th image above because I like how it’s slightly faded; it still shows the reflection from the glass really well and the colours still work, it’s just not as harsh on the lighting so is a lot more pleasing on the eye.
Change in sizes:
There was an alteration in the sizes on the brief. Instead of 1400×200 it was supposed to 140x200mm.
My next set of experimenting, I used images that I had takes using the flash. I used the exactly the same tools to edit the images as I had for the photos I did above.
For the above photo, I cropped it so that the focus was just on the shot being poured. I really like this image because of it being taken mid-action and I like the way the light hits it. Change the brightness and hue/saturation had a completely different effect to what I had done before because it was a much brighter image. I think technically, the images I had taken with flash are a lot better because they are more in focus. Though I like the other images because I think they work well with the colours and brightness, I prefer the images I’ve edited above because they required a lot less editing so shows off the image for what it is rather than having a load of harsh effect on it.
I went further with editing the photo so that there was a really strong contrast in brightness and created a much darker but bright image. Though the effects are really strong, I really like the harshness of the lighting and how you’re led to the action of the drink pouring into the glass. We must have 4 images as part of the series and they have to all follow the same graphic strategy. I think that this technique of changing the brightness/contrast would work a lot better with the other 3 images than the previous editing techniques I had experimented with.
Below are the other 3 images, following the exact same editing technique as the above image.
As a set of 4, I really like the images. I think they work really well as a series as the high contrast of colours and brightness link the photos together. I don’t usually like strong contrasted photos but I think these ones work really well together because of the variation in colour and the different compositions in the photos.
Composing the images onto one A3 sheet was done on InDesign.
Feedback on my work so far.
- The composition in the 100 x 55 mm image wasn’t quite right and I was told move it to the right a bit so that you could see the edge of the glass.
- I was shown other way I could link the photos together, this being using a thin red line to outline either the whole or part of the image.
I did this to all the images and found they had the same effect:
Such a simple thing using a line around the images but they link a lot better already and there is now a clear graphic strategy.
- The composition of the images are put together on the A3 sheet didn’t look right. I was told to change that and also experiment with different colours for the background to see what it would do to the images.
Experimenting with background colour
I didn’t even think of using a different background colour other than white because I thought that it would be too much with the colour within the image, but when I started to experiment with colours it gave a really nice effect to it. My favourite was the orange colour because I was subtle enough to not take away from the image but strong enough so that it exactly enhanced the orange colours in some of the photos.
Select below link to see final outcome: