Mon 17th Oct
Experiments – Illustrator
Using designs from my sketchbook as a starting point.
My first attempt was taking my idea of having type overlaying each other – similar to the poster I researched called “Optima Lecture Poster”. I wanted to fill the page and have the word read downwards.
Keeping the large lettering, I started to add the text around it. I wanted to keep with the theme of overlaying the letters so I kept to having the description of the type to a straightforward, aligned looked. There’s a lot of negative space and I couldn’t really see where I was going with it so I scrap that idea.
One of my ideas was making the ‘P’ dominant and the rest of the letters around it smaller. I like the composition of the ‘alatino’ inside the letters but the type boxes on the side don’t work.
I changed the composition slightly for the text boxes to the straight side of the ‘P’ and it looks a lot better as it aligns with the ‘alatino’. I’ve added the other characters in as a jumble of letters as I like how it looks, however, there’s something not quite right about the composition of this poster.
After trying several of the designs I had in drawn in book, I decided to just start playing around with the type and coming up with random designs. I like how I’ve used really large type and split up the word so that it reads down the page. I’m not sure about whether the lines work but I think composition of the text box works well in the middle. I like this piece as it is, so trying to add what else is asked for from the brief (a set of characters and image) is hard to get right with the amount of negative space left.
Instead of having the ‘Palatino’ large like in my previous experiments, I tried having it smaller and all layered on top of each other. This is too small but the way the letters have been places for ‘Palatino’ I like.
In some of my designs in my sketchbook, I thought about having the date in bold just to instantly give the viewer some background into the type. When I was playing around with how I could do this, I liked having the date so that it was displayed like a company so ‘established in’ which you see in a lot of logos. The dynamics of it work really well and it works as a bold, statement piece.
Following on from the previous image, I added ‘by hermann zapf’, reinforcing the look of a logo. I like it as a statement piece and it works well in the centre of the page.
Mimicking the shape of ‘Palatino’, I did the characters next to it then stuck to having the text box to the one corner. I like it, it’s good but there’s something not quite right with the composition of the text.
I tried seeing if different background colours would work. I like the black and the white together but I think have the letters as white with the background black, detracts too much from ‘Palatino’.
I think having the background as black for the ‘Palatino’ works a lot better than the opposite way round. I like the text box and the characters to one side. The only problem is, is that it doesn’t have an image and in the brief it states it needs an image to